Do you find yourself wearing certain pieces of your outfits more often than the rest? Most of us would agree that we have a much bigger percentage of outfits and individual items we do not wear in our wardrobe than those we actually do. It was said that we tend to wear about 20% of our wardrobe, and the remaining 80% of wardrobe consists of clothes taking up valuable space for variety of reasons.
The guilty 80% of our wardrobe
The first thing we need to understand is why we are not wearing those clothes anymore. Too often people hang on to clothes thinking that:
- “I will slim into it one day.”
- “It cost me a lot of money and I don’t want to be wasteful.”
- “It reminds me of the time when I was….”
- “I like it but it does not go with anything in my wardrobe.”
- “It was a gift and I will feel guilty if I do not keep it.”
Some of these common reasons highlights why people have a wardrobe full of clothes and yet find themselves only wearing the same pieces more often than the rest. Often, the emotional attachments hold us back to owning a wardrobe that is refreshing and clutter-free. It is really important to assess our wardrobe on a regular basis, and fill it with clothes that are “here and now”. This helps us to feel excited about our wardrobe and minimizes any guilty trips at the malls!
Fixing The Dilemma
With a bulging wardrobe of clothes, it comes down to the question “Should you throw it or keep it?” And many people struggle with that decision when it comes to wardrobe audit. The first step is to try on those clothes again. Taking on a style challenge would be a great tool to help you get started. Ask yourself how do you feel about wearing those clothes? Take notice of the language you are telling yourself in the head. If you use negative language around it, then it is a sign it is time to let go. Some of the negative language you may experience:
- Too ……
- And any word you do not associate yourself with (such as personality) and it is negative in some ways
In short, you are not wearing these clothes for a reason. And if you can figure that out it will save you money in the future as you are more aware and analytical about what you buy. The next time you flip through your wardrobe, take a moment to consider should it be really in there or is it time to let go?
I love hearing from you, if you have any feedback, opinions or questions please comment below and If you enjoyed this post and know someone who could do with this information please share it with them by clicking on the share button below.
If you would like to breakthrough from your current style and step into your True Style Personality, drop me a chat (email@example.com) or simply download my FREE resource “Look Stylish for Less“.